Koloman (Kolo) MOSER
Austrian architect, designer and painter
Koloman Moser, also named Kolo, studied at the Academy in Vienna with Griepenkerl and Rumpler and then at the School of Arts and Crafts in Vienna where he would become also a teacher from 1900 to 1918.
In that period he knew Joseph Maria Olbrich and J. Hoffmann (both members of the Siebener Club) and in 1897 was one of the founders of the Vienna Secession an association of revolutionary artists and architects.
He designed sculptures and windows for the Building of the Sezession. Together with Hoffman and F. Waerndorfer he started theWiener Werkstätte in 1903.
Moser travelled to Paris, Belgium, The Netherlands, Hamburg and Bern and was involved at the building of the Palais Stoclet, Brussels.
Moser left the Sezession at the same time as Gustav Klimt (1905) and in 1907 he left the Wiener Werkstätte as well.
During his life he directed his attention to every sphere of applied art, designing furniture, glass, metalware, jewelry together with posters, toys and interiors.
Koloman Moser was always looking to combine the predominantly geometric features with its surroundings in creating a rhythmical space of cubic forms and contrasting colors.
He was also one of the very few artists to design stamps in the Jugendstil style.
Cover for Ver Sacrum II (1899);
Interior design of the Purkerszdorf Sanatorium (1903);
Vases and other tableware in metal.